Saturday 24 September 2011

Marmotte logistics - part 2

Decision time
Having been over the options many many times in my head and on paper I've come to a accommodation decision which perhaps is outside the norm.

Rather than book the trip via a tour and have everything organised for me,  I've decided to do everything for myself.   I've opted to stay at the  Le Belledonne campsite which is a little over 7km to the North of the start village.

Why?
In my mind this all makes good sense.  The primary reason to avoid the organised tours, hotels and chalets is due to cost and flexibility.  Came July of next year I'll be making the trip to the South of France with my non cycling wife and, by then, a bouncing toddler.  In this instance, a hotel and an organised trip just wont do.

Similarly, the camping option, or in this case glamping as the onsite cabin has all the mod-cons, gives me the option to book for as many or as few days as I'd like which isn't possible with the Chalets.  In all of the cases I've seen so far a minimum stay of 7 nights is required which for me, is too long a stay.

So camping it is.  I'd better start training.

1 comment:

  1. We also camped and organised everything ourselves. We stayed at La Colpolteur though, which was great and couldn't have been more convenient for the start. It was literally a minute away,

    http://www.camping-colporteur.com/

    ReplyDelete