Sunday 23 October 2011

Winter - time to lay the base

Ok, so as I type were well into October and I'm a good few weeks into the winter training period. So far so good.   We've been blessed with some cracking weather - lots of sun and little or no wind which has meant the turbo or rollers haven't found their way out of the loft which of course is highly satisfying.  Of course, their time will come, but hopefully not for a few more weeks.

Above: A view from the road

This year I'm using a higher intensity and lower volume training plan rather than the more usual long slow distance approach.  With a new family, full time job and all the usual live stressors I lack the time and the good weather to put in hour after hour needed to build up the miles during the next 3 or so months.

The aim is simple, to maintain and develop my aerobic system and lay down a firm base before the real hard work starts in the New Year. 

To this end I'll be spending the next few months doing lots of week day 1 hour endurance rides and plenty of 2 x 20mins at lets say 80% of my threshold.  Come the weekend I'll be getting a longer ride in of say of 3 – 4 hours.

As I've said above, so far so good although there's a very long way to go until July 2012.

----------------

Weekly Totals:

Bike: 7hrs 15mins - 233.45 kms
Run 1hr 20mins - 16.7 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment