Friday 18 November 2011

Getting a little bit older

For the most part, I’ve had a relatively quiet week form a work wise and riding perspective.  I’m getting through a 3 month notice period before joining a new firm in the New Year so perhaps the lack of work isn’t too surprising.  The lack of riding on the other hand, well that wasn’t so expected.

Earlier in the week my wife gingerly suggested I was “perhaps” training a little too hard.  After all, she said, “you’re not 23 any more”……

Fair enough.  The little quip on the age will ring true with many people and none more than my good self.  Of course, she’s spot on.  I’m not in my 20’s, a time where I spent the best part of 5 years at University where for the most part I lived the life of a professional athlete.  While I never made it to the big time so to speak it did enable me plenty of training and recovery time.  

Clearly those times have moved on. As a new(ish) father and with a full on decent job my priorities have naturally changed.  Furthermore, and most worryingly, as I get to the wrong side of my mid thirties my body is starting to misbehave.

While I’m far from the age where a fart cannot be trusted I’m certainly noticing my powers of recuperation and recovery are far from ideal.  This is perhaps why I’m typing this with a belly full of anti inflammatory pills and an ice pack behind my left knee.

I fear the return of trouble in the meniscus, something which I was first operated on some 12 or so years ago.  So then, I await a trip to the MRI on Monday.  As you can imagine my fingers and toes are all crossed.  Hopefully my Marmotte 2012 isn’t over before its really got going.

No comments:

Post a Comment