Wednesday 21 December 2011

A few goals for the New Year

For as long as I can remember, I've always enjoyed and looked forward to the December 21st Winter Solstice, the day in the Northern Hemisphere when the axial tilt of the Earth is the furthest away from its orbit around the sun.
 
Of course in simple layman's terms this means as from tomorrow, December 22nd, the days will slowly get longer and the nights that little bit shorter which to me, is a very good thing. 
 
Sadly myself and the other good folk of the UK wont really see a difference, ie an increase, in usable morning and evening light until well into the year so for now, the turbo and rollers will remain my focus for most of my weekly riding. 
 
Another tradition of mine post the Winter Solstice is to think about and then make concrete a few goals and objectives for the forth coming year.  Before committing to such things perhaps a quick review of the incumbent year is perhaps in order?
 
2011, a quick review
 
In truth, a year of stability brought about with the birth in January of our first child.  It didn't seem particularly fair on Master or Mrs T for me to be planning anything to large that would keep me from pulling my weight so to speak. 
 
With that regard I kept a basic level of fitness and ride a few century rides in the summer and ran the odd 10k once in a wile.  That said, I do end the year nearly 4 kgs heavier than I started which upon discovery earlier in the week was somewhat of a shock.
 
2012 Goals
 
1) Gold Standard in the Marmotte
 
- The main and somewhat arrogant goal for the forthcoming year
- So that's a time of 8 hours 50 or so mins if my memory serves
 
2) Loose the spare tyre
 
- Which will certainly help in achieving part one listed above
- I'd like to get as close to 67 kg (about 10.5 stone)
- This should be achievable if I'm careful to watch the food intake and to measure any booze and Pizza consumption
 
3) Time management
 
- Make sure I give enough time to my family
- I've been poor at doing this in the past
- There's more to life than the Marmotte
 
So that's it.  My 2012 goals are sorted with them being achievable, measurable and many other things to boot.
A view upwards from my desk at the office.  Festive.
See you next year and to those celebrating I wish a wonderful Xmas and a prosperous New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment