Friday 16 December 2011

2012 Events List

So then, here's a first stab of the events I'm planning to do in the run up to the 2012 Marmotte.  Quite unsurprisingly they are pretty much dominated by cycling although I'm planning on undertaking a smattering of running races too. 

This is just for old times sake you understand, and to keep an element of that type of fitness in the legs for (perhaps) a PowerMan Duathlon for later in the year. 

Kentish Killer (19th February)
Described by Cycling Weekly as one of those, "must do" Sportives, this will be my first longish (70m / 112km) ride of the year that wont have been in front of the TV on the trusty turbo.  Starting and finishing at the Brands Hatch racing circuit, the weather and road conditions will I suspect be somewhat challenging!  I'm already looking forward to the promised vat of hot soup come the finish line.

Wiggle Cheshire Cat (25th March)
Often billed as the "big season opener", this event will see me travel up north to Crewe to tackle my first century (160km) ride of the year.  I've not ridden this route before although on paper it looks reasonably challenging over scenic but lumpy terrain and including the well known Tour of Britain Gun Hill climb. 

Guernsey Easter Festival (6th - 9th April)
Back home to Guernsey for the annual Easter Festival.  If memory serves correctly there's 4 races that include runs along the Southern Cliffs, a cross country run along L'ancresse and ending with a fairly flat and fast Half Marathon. 

New Forest Sportive (15th April)
This will be the third time I've ridden this gentle and relatively flat 83 miler.  Set in the peaceful New Forest it really is a beautiful day out on the bike.  I'm also hoping Mrs T will be joining me on this ride too.  Now that would be a first.

2 Weeks in Italy (2nd & 3rd week in May)
Now this I'm really looking forward to.  Staying in a small hill top village not too far from Assisi, I'm planning to get some big hill and descent miles into the legs.  While I cant guarantee the weather, this will give me an opportunity to tackle a few of the Umbrian hills which should offer a level of physical exertion similar to what I should expect come July.
Above: A View of Assisi
Wiggle Bournemouth Sportive (27th May)
Another weekend another UK Sportive which gives me the chance to get some more group riding under the belt and to tick off another 160kms in the saddle. 

Verenti Magnificat (3rd June)
The longest ride of my prep coming in at 127 miles / 204kms which perhaps is probably a little too long.  That said, the ride is local to me and will give me more time in the saddle which of course is a good thing.

La Marmotte (7th July)
The big one........
Above: A View of the Galibier
PowerMan Italy (28th October)
The Italian leg of the PowerMan Duathlon series.  Distances are still TBC although I'm hoping to make this my first foray into the longer distance world of Duathlon. 
Above: A very dodgy logo if ever i saw one
Anyway. There's little doubt I'll make a few changes to this list over the coming months although these together with the other rides and races over the next 7 or so months should give me a firm base with which to enjoy the main event come July of next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment