Thursday 29 December 2011

Inevitable Xmas weight gain

So after the usual Xmas over indulgence I'm back at work and by the looks of things I may well be the only person across the entire campus who has chosen to do so.   It's eerily quiet. The restaurant and coffee shops are shuttered up until the New Year - we might as well hang up a closed for business sign over the entrance.....

Anyway. I assume I've put on a bit of weight over the past week or so although I'm choosing to ignore the scales and to estimate my weight by how much gut lard I can grab in one hand. The answer as always is far far too much.

New Year = Newish Me

Had an interesting chat with Mrs T over the Xmas break. We've been together for more than 10 years and, although she's not got an ounce of sporting competitiveness in her, she has always been amazingly supportive of me, my racing and of course the training that comes with it.

For many different reasons our lives have changed dramatically over the past year. Sadly for me it turns out I've not really changed with these changes so to speak and it's about time I made a few changes around family priorities.

This I totally get. I really should spend more time with her and our son. I should be home from work to help with the evening routine rather than getting on the bike and letting her take most of the strain.

Of course I still want to train, to ride, to run and to compete as these activities are very much part of who I am and as Mrs T knows, no training or exercise makes Mr T a real grumpy bugger.

So what needs to change?

The plan is to alter my lifestyle to fit the training and parenting together which of course is something I should have done months and months ago.

Out go the evening workouts to be replaced by 5.30am / 6.00am rides which will leave my time free come the PM. Same goes for the weekends where I'll be up early and all finished before noon which gives back the afternoon for family time.

Sounds simple? Well of course it does.....

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment