Thursday 22 March 2012

Guernsey's Own Little Alpe

The man flu I mentioned in yesterdays post seems on its way out of my system so quite naturally you find me in far better spirits than a day ago.  

These type of colds tend to stay with me for at least a week so I'm putting my speedy recovery down to the sea air, plenty of vitamin C and (as sort of being told to do so by The Telegraph) the absurdly hot Thai Green Curry I consumed last evening.....

In any case.  I've spent another day off the bike with Mrs and Master T enjoying the warmer than expected early spring weather on the beach close to my parents house.  That said, I did take a few moments to piece together a few snaps from the Islands's own very little Alpe

Less than 21 Bends

The Vall Des Terres is to be found just outside the Island's main town of St Peter's Port.  While of course I'm joking in comparing it to an Alpe, its average 12% (give or take) gradient does compare nicely with its much larger and more famous cousins across the water.

Of course where it differs is in its length (0.777 mms) and the number of turns (9 of them) a rider needs to negotiate in getting from the bottom to the summit.

Above: The first few meters
Above: The first "switch back"
Above: A tight little chicane half way up the 'Terres
Above: Turn 6 ( I think)
I've ridden the 'Terres many times and while there's a heavy sent of jest within this little post I'm in no way actively diminishing the fun I still feel in getting up and down this little hill.

If you ever get the chance to pop over to the Island and can get your hands on a bike, this little climb is well worth doing and sure to bring a little smile across your face once you get over the top.  I understand the local club (non closed road) record for the hill stands at a little over 1m 50s so that's something to go for, isn't it?

By the way, the views out to sea from the top on a clear are simply stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment