Tuesday 13 March 2012

This is your 5am alarm call.....

Wakey wakey!!

Today started very much like many of the other Tuesdays over the past couple of months. The shrill of the 5am alarm.  The sigh of annoyance from Mrs T and a groan of realisation from myself that I had better roll out of bed and get myself ready to train. 

I quickly learned back in October of last year that organisation is key to these early morning sessions. 

Everything must be ready to without fuss or it’s too easy to hit the snooze button time and time again and to bail on the session.  To avoid this end I’ve made sure the bike is locked and loaded into the turbo or next to the rollers before going to bed the previous evening.  The same goes for the kit in as much as I’ve got it all ready the night before so upon waking I almost fall out of bed and into a set of bib shorts before my feet hit the carpet.  Of course there have been times when I have hidden under the duvet and decided to train in the evening although for the most part, these morning sessions have treated me well.

Training while fasted

The other aspect of this morning sessions that took a while to get used to was the notion of riding for up to 90 mins in essentially a fasted state.  This was a choice to perhaps help force the body to use some of its fat reserves in the absence of a stomach full of food but also it was a decision based on logistics.  Simply put, there’s no way I’m able to get up early enough to get a good meal down me before waiting the normal time to let it settle before then, and only then, getting my back side onto the bike.  It can’t be done.  Just can’t.

The jury’s out from my point of view on the validity of this type of training as I’m not too convinced I’m not over eating later in the day to compensate for the events in the morning.  That said, I have lost much of my winter coat of lard sooner than normal this year.  This could be a consequence of the early morning sessions burning more fat than in previous years although conversely, this weight loss may also be simply a resultant of the overall volume of training I’m doing.

In any case.  Next week I’m on holiday which nicely coincides with a rest week.  Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment